Message from Cecilia Eng
Some of you from last Saturday's song circle were interested in visiting the virtual OBAN CELEBRATION.
Here is the info:
Virtual Obon Fest. Not sure what their zoom session will be like, as they've never done this before, but it starts at 7pm and sounds like everyone will be muted and will dance at home if they have space.
For those attending the Song Circle tomorrow, here's the link to my blog which includes the chords and lyrics to my Bon Odori song as well as links to the Obon Fest Dance instructor videos as well as the dances from previous years which can be accessed at any time if they want to check out the dancing after the circle...
:) Cecilia Eng
PFS usually hosts second saturday song circles, where all are invited. They hosted by a different household each month, and are a fun space where folks like you can come, meet people, play, sing, or just listen. They usually start with a pot luck dinner, and then we go around the circle twice, with everyone getting to lead a song. Some people stay for a third rotation, and a fourth, and...
You can see some excerpts from a recent shindig above.
Until we can safely meet again, we will be hosting weekly Saturday virtual song circles. Please join us there!
Upcoming PFS Song Circles
Weekly Saturday Evening Virtual Song Circle!
6:00 - Last person is gone!
We will open up the circle at 6:00 PM, start singing at 6:30, and we’ll keep it open until the last person leaves. Feel free to come in anytime, and stay as long as you like. We will run it kind of like a physical song circle. Everyone who wants to can sing once, and then we’ll do another round, and just keep going as long as you like. We’ll provide some curation, but you won’t need a lot. Of course, it is totally fine to just listen, and based on last time, you won’t regret it.
Feel free to spread the word to people who would like to be there. This is not just for PFS folks at all, and nor only for people in the Pacific North West. We’re still experimenting, and thanks for understanding that.
For everyone connecting by internet, all you need is this URL:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176553766
Click on it, say yes to everything, and you will end up in the right place.
If you are connecting with a phone over wi-fi, use wi-fi to connect. Read no further.
However, if you are connecting by dial-in phone, which may use up a lot of your monthly bandwidth allowance, you will need the following.
Meeting ID: 871 7655 3766
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,87176553766# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,87176553766# US (Tacoma)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 871 7655 3766
Folks have learned a lot about how to hold good get-togethers on the internet. Here are some thing that work, that we ask you to do during the virtual song circles.
We use the Zoom platform for meetings. When you go to the virtual song circle you will be placed in a virtual "waiting room". If a known name appears, we will let you in. If we don't know the person, we might send you a message asking who you are. Sorry about the inconvenience; we do this to protect everyone from unwanted disrupters.
Please sit with your face well lit, and a background that isn’t too bright.
Please mute yourself whenever you aren't singing.
Sing close to your mic, and if you are playing an instrument, hold back a little. Our Zoom settings place everyone in "Orginal sound" mode.
We record the sessions. We will not use any recording of you without your permission.
We’ll be on early if you’d like to test out your connection.
- Whether you come to sing or just listen, relax and have fun. There is no need to be stressed, or shy.
- When your turn around the circle comes, you may perform a song, lead a song, request someone else sing a song, or pass.
- Please introduce yourself, even if you think everyone knows you.
- Song circles usually go around two times, so you will have two opportunities to lead a song. But, sometimes more - so prepare as many songs as you like, just in case.
- Singalongs, and songs with choruses, are encouraged, especially on the first round.
- There is never a need to rush through a song but - please keep the circle moving along.
- If the presenter requests that instruments accompany his or her song, join in. Be mindful of drowning out voices with loud instruments.
- People often choose songs out of the "blue book" (Rise Up Singing) or the "red book" (Rise Again) for singalongs. If you use it, let others know what page your selection is on.
- Song circle participants are tolerant about song choices: If you sing music made by folks, then we consider it folk music!