PFS Board Meeting Minutes June 29, 2017

Board Members Present: David Ingerson, Mary Ann Gilpatrick, John Kellermann, Dick Hamlet, Corinne McWilliams, Bill Moore, Brian Warner

David Ingerson called the meeting to order at 7:07 pm.

Last month's revised minutes reviewed and approved.

Reports

Treasurer

Brian presented a Profit & Loss report showing difference between March and April. David and Dick questioned Singtime income/expenses; accounts may be missing a transfer from scholarship fund. Brian will review with our bookkeeper Morris McClellan (Mo). David reqested adding a "bottom line" for PFS money less hosted programs.

Concert Committee

David reported that their final accounting is incomplete. Concert Committee recognizes that the new venue is part of the problem. Mary Ann looked for other venues but found nothing affordable. St. David of Wales is booked by Artichoke while they move to their new venue. Brian will see if St. Stephen's church is available.

Singtime Team

Dick reported that final accounting showed a net loss of $302.34 due to higher costs and lower than usual attendance, due in part to a lapse in publicity: announcement went to individuals but did not go to other folk societies in time for their newsletters. New team is ahead of schedule for next year. Avery Hill will be the featured artist.

Membership

John said he has not yet reviewed his preliminary report of membership gained and lost by year.

Play Day in May report

Final report from Rob Hoffman showed net $370.65 loss, due to low attendance. Proposed thank-you note to Rob has not yet been written. Mary Ann volunteered to draft it.

Response to Sandy's proposal

David will send board copy of his response to Sandy Bly.

Old Business

Strawberry Social

John said that the event was well-attended, and that his report is not yet written. He will write and send. Brian volunteered to bake shortcake next year.

Roster revision

Roster format, privacy options, and whether to send as hardcopy or pdf discussed, suggestion made to ask about roster policy in membership survey.

Membership survey and volunteer situation

Corinne will send edited questionnaire to John to lay out in SurveyMonkey for board to review.

Integrated communication/social media

Missy Wryn met with David and Becca Parker but the wifi at the bar where they met was down. David took notes as to how to create accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Meetup. David needs photos from members to build Facebook page.

New Business

Nonprofit Association of Oregon membership

PFS membership expired, will cost $55 now because we moved up a notch, board approved renewal.

Willamette Week's "Give!Guide" application

Application asks for number of paid staff, social media followers etc, and is due tomorrow. No action yet, board to reconsider next year.

Other items:

OnPoint could not grant signature authority to Brian since Portland Folklore Society DBA (Doing Business As: Portland FolkMusic Society) has expired. Brian will investigate costs of renewing DBA vs reverting to doing business under our original name. John suggested asking about society name preference in membership survey.

Meeting adjourned at 9:19 pm.

The next meeting is scheduled for August 7 at 7:00 PM at Jody Neubert's, 3116 NE 58th Ave. Portland, 97213

Portland FolkMusic Society: Your Connection to FolkMusic in the Pacific Northwest!

Questions, comments about this page? Send e-mail to the Webmaster.