PFS Board Meeting Minutes September 21, 2016

Board Members Present: David Ingerson, Dick Hamlet, Corinne McWilliams, Will Newman II, John Kellermann

David Ingerson called the meeting to order at 7:03 pm.

Last meeting's minutes were approved by email, as amended.

Reports:

Autoharp and Summer Acoustic reports discussed. David will tell Mark and Dave that continuing to accumulate excess net income (profit) without a clear plan for its charitable use is frowned upon by the IRS. The easiest way to reduce this surplus is to lower prices or increase subsidies (scholarships) in the next cycle. This is not the only way, or even perhaps the best way, to reduce excess funds, and other approaches may be preferred by the programs. So long as the funds are used for charitable purposes in line with each program's states purposes, any use of the funds should be OK.

Treasurer

June books balanced and sent to board for review. David will call Mo to see if he has a copy of our IRS Determination Letter.

Concert Committee

Lost $150 on last concert. David reports that they thought the idea of a 40th anniversary party before the November concert was not practical.

Old Business

Five Euro Tip/Rob Hoffman proposal

Will will tell Mo he's authorized to pay expenses up to $800.

Volunteer appreciation party and 40th anniversary celebration.

Board discussed combining the two, starting with the volunteer appreciation party, followed by a free showcase concert. Lauren Sheehan offered to recruit talent willing to perform pro bono. Possible venues were discussed: Lagunitas Brewing, Tabor Space, Subud, or St David of Wales. David will ask Lagunitas about their restrictions on starting and ending times and number of bands.. He will tell the Concert Committee that PFS will cover expenses and ask them to do sound and publicity.

New Business

  1. Mo's request for a CPA to clean up our year-end reports.

    Will will ask Mo to get estimates from CPA's for closing books for 2015 and 2016 and ask if he needs help filing taxes, and if so, to get estimates. Based on his response, Will will make a recommendation to the board.

  2. Recruitment of a new treasurer.

    David will place an ad in the November/December Local Lore for new board members, including treasurer. Dick will place an ad on the website.

  3. Submission guidelines for Local Lore.

    David will send Irja Orav's guidelines to Dick so that he can update the Local Lore page on the website.

  4. Becca Parker's request:

    David will tell Mo to refund her $55 contribution to the Singtime Scholarship fund.

  5. Artichoke venue partnership.

    Artichoke music has lost their lease and must relocate by next summer. David and John will pursue partnering with Artichoke to secure a new venue.

  6. Discussion of Stan Davis' proposal to send weekly emails.

    Board discussed guidelines for e-mail sent by PFS. David will tell Dave Mongeau that the board feels that Stan's request to send weekly mails from the Concert committee would likely annoy many members and cause them to unsubscribe. David will suggest to Stan that we use Facebook or other social media for "push" notices rather than our email lists. Dick will see if he can enable an unsubscribe link that would remove the recipient from the list used for that email, rather than unsubscribing from all PFS emails.

Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 19th at 7:00 PM at John's house, 2612 SE Madison.

Portland FolkMusic Society: Your Connection to FolkMusic in the Pacific Northwest!

Questions, comments about this page? Send e-mail to the Webmaster.