PFS Board Meeting Minutes, March 18, 2015

Board Members Present: Will Newman II, David Ingerson, Dick Hamlet, Corinne McWilliams, John Kellermann

Guests Present: none.

David Ingerson called the meeting to order at 7:14 pm.

Reports:

Financial Report:

Will distributed reports. David mentioned that OnPoint Savings loaned about $3000 to checking in December to cover Menucha. Board approved of Will's reporting format.

Concert Committee:

Gordon Bock had so many online sales, asked to use sanctuary, donated $70 extra from about $500 profit. Will asked if they're authorized to spend money for PFS. David said they can commit up to $750 guarantee. More requires board approval. They make money on most concerts. Last year they made $1969. Board discussed establishing a formal policy.

Action: David will contact Concert Committee to discuss creating a committee checking account for concert expenses with chair as signatory. Policy to be decided at next meeting after discussion.

Membership and IT:

Roster is almost ready. Will will delete extra sentence from master before Laura sends to printer.

Singtime Frolics:

95 minimum attendees for break even achieved, including $1275 in scholarships.

Strategic Planning progress:

David brought reports for board from Song Circle improvement group and Younger People's Needs group to read and discuss at next meeting.

Proposal for fiscal sponsorship, Amelia Baker

Action: Corinne will draft letter suggesting it would be more appropriate to approach KBOO for sponsorship.

Event fiscal sponsorship

Corinne suggests open-ended contracts, instead of yearly renewal, with termination clause. Corinne will send current and proposed versions of agreements to Will for revision and submission to the Board for approval at the next meeting.

Board minutes research:

Corinne found former board promised to contribute to Linda Huddle scholarship fund.

Moved, seconded, carried to contribute $250 and send note to Ira.

Action: Corinne will find out how to make the contribution and let Will know the specifics. Will will then send a check to cover the contribution.

New Business

Strawberry Social

Jinx offered to host, Carter declined to organize. John volunteered to organize, contact Jinx, set date according to expected strawberry harvest dates this year.

Chantey Sing

Moved, seconded, carried to authorize Steve Levy to revive the PFS Shanty Sing. David will contact Steve.

Local Lore software problem discussed. Dick will follow up with Irja and Barry to determine cause.

Joe Hickerson benefit concert proceeds: $624. David contributed to PFS, to be restricted to a designated purpose.

Moved, seconded, carried as board policy: Advertising charges may be combined for a discount as long as practice is consistent.

Posting Local Lore online was mentioned as a potential cost saving.

Posting Annual Financial Report online was on agenda, but not discussed.

Moved, seconded, carried as board policy: When guests are invited to a board meeting, a time later in the meeting should be specified, board is to be informed of invitation and any documents distributed prior to meeting. When guest arrives, we deal with their business promptly so they can leave.

Announcements:

Youth concert was rescheduled to Sunday 26 April, at Artichoke Music.

Potential archivist found.

The next meeting will be Wednesday, April 15 at 7:00 PM at John's house, 2612 SE Madison.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 pm.

Respectfully Submitted by John Kellermann, Acting Secretary

Portland FolkMusic Society: Your Connection to FolkMusic in the Pacific Northwest!

Questions, comments about this page? Send e-mail to the Webmaster.