Board Meeting Minutes, February 18, 2015

Present: David Bledsoe, David Ingerson, Dick Hamlet, Corinne McWilliams, John Kellermann, Will Newman II, Steve Mullinax, Laura Webb, Bobbo Bernstein, Amelia Baker

David Ingerson called the meeting to order at 7:06 pm.

Moved, seconded, carried that the minutes of the 1/14/15 Board meeting be accepted with the following correction: The next meeting will be held at John Kellermann's house at 7:00 pm.

Old Business:

A discussion of the 2015 Member Roster followed. It seems to fit through the USPS magic slot. Will Newman will make changes to the inside and outside of the cover as discussed. David will send text to Will for the inside cover to include 1) updating membership information, 2) mission statement and several sentences about PFS history and functions, and 3) renewing membership online.

John Kellermann will let Laura Webb know how many envelopes are to be printed. It was decided to print a quantity equal to the number of envelopes to be printed plus 100. Will is to send pdfs for the cover, the contents, and the envelope to Laura. Laura will send all to the printer with appropriate notes.

New Business:

David Bledsoe described Make Music PDX. Corrine suggested that an article appear in the next Local Lore about this. David Bledsoe agreed to send complete information to the Local Lore email address by April 8th. David Ingerson will send an e-mail out to PFS performers and invite them to sign up for the event.

(David Bledsoe departed.)

Old Business:

Financial Report

Will reviewed the January financial reports. Dick Hamlet asked about details for income and expense for Singtime Frolics. Many details do not get to Mo (our bookkeeper) to report, e.g. donations for scholarships paid through PayPal. The board agreed with Dick's concerns. Dick will develop a policy by the end of April for Board review.

Finance Committee Report

Recommendations: Consolidation of check writing and debit card users and usage.

(Amelia Baker arrived.)

David, Will and Mo will develop and submit a policy to cover recommendations 1, 2, 3 & 4. Corinne will search prior minutes to find established Board policies, and compile a list for presentation at the March Board meeting. David believes this should address recommendations 5 & 6. Moved, seconded, carried to adopt the proposed Annual Financial Calendar as proposed. This is now Board policy.

Corinne will contact Summer Acoustic and Autoharp people about renewing their agreements. David will get contact information to Corinne.

Moved, seconded, carried to continue discussion of guidelines for financial report and reimbursement policies to the March Board meeting.

Concert Committee — No report.

Singtime Frolics report — Dick reported that things are proceeding slowly. It is possible that we may lose money this year due to low enrollment. We will know next week. Discussion followed about outreach to potential scholarship recipients.

Strategic Planning Process — Steve Mullinax presented a written report summarizing the results of the meetings. Steve agreed to write an article for Local Lore about the process and results. Some groups have already started moving forward. Steve recommended that the Board regularly review progress against goals. Invite volunteers to Board meetings and celebrate their contributions.

New Business

Amelia Baker presented a request for fiscal sponsorship for study of traditional music and dance in Ireland. The Board agreed to discuss the project. Amelia needs an answer by the end of the third week of March. The Board agreed to make a decision at the March meeting.

Moved, seconded, carried to pay $60.00 for the March Song Circle venue, and to set out a collection hat for donations to cover it.

Advertising charge discussion was deferred to the March meeting.

Local Lore calendar and Joe's Jottings column are now posted online.

Discussion of posting the annual financial report on-line until was deferred to the March meeting.

The next meeting will be Wednesday, March 18th at 7:00 PM at John's house, 2612 SE Madison.

Meeting adjourned at 9:44 pm.

Respectfully Submitted by Will Newman II, Secretary

Portland FolkMusic Society: Your Connection to FolkMusic in the Pacific Northwest!

Questions, comments about this page? Send e-mail to the Webmaster.