PFS Board Meeting Minutes, October 28, 2015

Board Members Present: Will Newman II, David Ingerson, Dick Hamlet, Corinne McWilliams, John Kellermann

Guests Present: none.

David Ingerson called the meeting to order at 6:20 pm.

Reports:

Financial Report:

No new report, discussion followed under new business.

Singtime Frolics:

$402 raised at last silent auction for scholarship fund. Benefit concert by Mark Bosnian scheduled in January.

Event fiscal sponsorship

NWAG (Northwest Autoharp Gathering) report read, David noted an error in history of non-profit status and relationship with PFS, and questioned whether accounting included PFS fees.

Action: Corrine will inquire.

SAM (Summer Acoustic Music) is still waiting for a bill from Pilgrim Firs.

Volunteer appreciation party:

Scheduled for Sunday November 29 at Lauren's house. Last year was a potluck. David suggests providing food this year. Last year we budgeted $200. He suggested Pizzicato. Will suggested Hot Lips because their ingredients are locally sourced. Will suggested gathering earlier with snacks, not meal. Board agreed 2-6 pm with pizza at 4, if OK with Lauren. David will compile a list of volunteers, will print for party.

Volunteer coordinator progress:

David has contacted Andrea but yet not met met her. John suggested that he attend her Global Folk Club gig at Jade lounge.

Membership and IT:

Website changes: John contacted Kieran about transferring domain registration. Board discussed his response. Will explained difference between an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and a web host, how domain registration works, etc.

Action: John agreed to follow up with Kieran.

Web design: David has been exploring web designers,

Action: David will forward links to the board.

Other Committee reports: Strawberry social and Youth concert are still pending.

New Business

Will's proposed changes to financial reports:

Will and Dick discussed Singtime Frolics accounting at length. Discussion of concert accounting followed; concerts sell memberships as well as ticket sales by cash and check, which must all be counted separately, as well as occasional auctions to support Singtime scholarships. Will offered to create a separate form for Singtime scholarship receipts at concerts.

Will suggests that all financial accounting should be done by bookkeeper; committees should only need to track and report expenses and receipts by category. Financial reports should support decision-making by allowing board to see whether each program is on track as budgeted and take corrective action when necessary. If properly done, accounts should not require lengthy discussion at board meetings.

Old Business:

Will mentioned we still need to enable will-call tickets, and advance payment by check.

Action: David will follow up with concert committee.

Board election are to be held at the end of December. All current members agree to run for reelection. David requests that we recruit new board members; bylaws call for 5 - 7 members. Corinne offered to write a job description for potential candidates.

40th Anniversary planning was deferred to the volunteer appreciation party.

David requested reminders for his commitments made at board meeting. Corinne offered to remind him if he sends her his to-do list.

The next meeting will be Wednesday, November 18th at 7 PM at John's house, 2612 SE Madison, following 5 pm potluck.

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Respectfully Submitted by John Kellermann, Recording Secretary

Portland FolkMusic Society: Your Connection to FolkMusic in the Pacific Northwest!

Questions, comments about this page? Send e-mail to the Webmaster.